How to Lighten Your Hair Naturally: 7 Chemical-free Ways
Do you want to streak or lighten your hair but are afraid of the hair damage caused by commercial bleaching products that are loaded with chemicals?
Getting your hair professionally lightened over a long period can make your hair extremely dry, brittle, and frizzy. As the chemicals start to buildup in your hair and scalp, you begin to lose large chunks of hair, leading to the development of bald patches. And that is definitely not what you had signed up for.
However, you can set aside your worries as we have come up with 7 tried and tested home remedies that will easily lighten your hair naturally. And the best part is that they are made with chemical-free household products easily found in your kitchen and bathroom.
Method 1: Lemon and Cinnamon
You can easily make a simple hair lightening mask at home by mixing freshly squeezed lemon juiceand ground cinnamon spice.
Lemon contains citric acid and vitamin C; consequently, it acts as a natural lightening agent for both skin and hair.
On the other hand, powdered cinnamon has potent bleaching properties and is also rich in minerals such as manganese, iron, and calcium that help nourish your hair as opposed to chemical hair-lightening products that only cause damage.
For this natural hair lightening mixture to work most successfully, you have to expose your hair to sunlight after application as the UV rays help boost the natural bleaching properties of both the ingredients.
Things you’ll need:
- Lemon juice (natural bleaching agent) – ½ cup
- Cinnamon powder (natural bleaching agent) – 2 teaspoons
- Raw honey (contains hydrogen peroxide and acts as humectant) – 2 teaspoons
- Organic, extra-virgin coconut oil (nourishes and rehydrates hair) – 2 teaspoons
- Water – 1 cup
Step 1. Mix lemon juice, cinnamon powder and honey in a beaker
- Pour ½ cup of freshly squeezed lemon juice into a beaker.
- Add 2 teaspoons of cinnamon powder.
- Pour 2 teaspoons of honey as well.
Step 2. Add coconut oil and water
- Add 2 teaspoons of coconut oil.
- Finally, pour in 1 cup of water.
Step 3. Whisk and spray to lighten hair
- Use a small, motorized blender to whisk everything into a smooth blend.
- Transfer the prepared blend into a spray bottle.
- Shake well and spray on your hair to lighten it naturally; you can either spray it all over your hair or on the sections you wish to lighten to get highlights.
- Go out in the sun to enhance the bleaching properties of lemon and leave the mask on till your hair dries completely.
- Shampoo and condition as usual; repeat once a week or as required to lighten your hair naturally.
Alternatively, you can also apply this mix on damp hair and leave it on overnight; cover your head with a shower cap to avoid making a mess on your sheets.
Method 2: Vitamin C
In addition, you can use vitamin C, also known as ascorbic acid, to lighten your dark strands. The one upshot of using this method is that there is absolutely no damage to your hair as vitamin C does not cause dryness while lightening your hair color.
It is, in fact, a natural vitamin required by our bodies for everyday functioning. This is one of the simplest ways to lighten your hair naturally.
Things you’ll need:
- Vitamin C tablets (natural bleaching agent) – 4 to 5
- Shampoo – As required
Step 1.Add shampoo to crushed vitamin C tablets
- Crush 4 to 5 vitamin C tablets to get a fine powder.
- Add a regular amount of your usual shampoo; roughly the amount you use to wash your hair each time.
Step 2. Mix well and shampoo
- Keep stirring till the vitamin C powder is completely dissolved in the shampoo.
- Massage it gently into your hair and leave it on for 1 hour; you can cover your head with a shower cap.
- Shampoo and rinse your hair thoroughly; make certain that none of the vitamin C shampoo is left behind on your scalp or hair.
You can do this 2 to 3 times a week to naturally lighten your hair.
Method 3: Henna
# 4: Vinegar and Honey
# 5: Hydrogen Peroxide
Method 6: Chamomile Tea
Method 7: Honey and Cinnamon
Source : https://www.fabhow.com